2012: A Retrospective (Of Sorts)

Another yr gone, some other lump of books read.  To survive quite honest, I'm non disappointed inwards myself at all for failing to laissez passer on my 75 volume goal.  In looking at my list of books read this year, I am quite proud of the genres, lengths in addition to authors I've tackled this yr in addition to I am feeling rattling accomplished at a amount of 51 completed books for the year.  Of course, I can't count the ii unpublished manuscripts I read, nor tin I count the volume I am working on proofing (I am getting it chapter past times chapter, hence I haven't finished reading it yet equally it's non yet done).  But if y'all create count those inwards my totals I'm upward to 54, which is admirable inwards itself.

Anyway, plenty patting myself on the back.  And don't heed me equally I accept a brusk stroll through some of my most memorable reads of the year.

(There are captions underneath the photos - I don't know how to alter the coloring of the text hence only hover for the captions in addition to the links.  You'll survive able to consider them that means if you're interested!)

The Zona, past times Nathan L. Yocum
Photo from Goodreads.com
The Zona - Nathan L. Yocum
Date started: 2/14/2012
Date finished: 2/17/2012

This volume was to a greater extent than of a novella, equally it was solely 115 pages.  I didn't especially click alongside this one, didn't bask the read equally much equally I had hoped, but it was an interesting volume that has stuck alongside me since I read it.  It's sure an interesting theme for thought: Preachers equally killers, tasked alongside sending their marks to their expiry or to Purgatory.  The thing that has stuck alongside me the most, though, was how the reader gets to consider 3 unlike points of see on what happened to Vegas, a cruel massacre on the business office of the Church inwards guild to purge sin from the world.  A recommended read, fifty-fifty if y'all don't consider yourself a religious person.




Anna Karenina past times Leo Tolstoy
Photo from Goodreads.com
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Date started: 4/3/2012
Date finished: 6/5/2012

I took a long fourth dimension to read Anna Karenina, but that's non really surprising considering it's unopen to one thousand pages.  I used to crave epic, sweeping, long books, the means I at nowadays crave pizza or macaroni in addition to cheese.  I uncovering myself, lately, really earthworks the brusk stuff.  Probably because I tin read to a greater extent than of them.  But I nonetheless uncovering myself sinking my teeth into these huge volumes, in addition to collecting copies equally well.  Anna Karenina is something I really should lead maintain read a long fourth dimension ago, during undergrad, or fifty-fifty my senior yr of high school.  The to a greater extent than I think virtually it, this is something I should lead maintain been re-reading this year, non only experiencing for the kickoff time.

I picked this upward because I was hungry for a classic, in addition to had been reading Collins, Austen, Dickens, etc., in addition to wanted to experience someone I'd never read before.  Lucky me, correct around the fourth dimension I finished the book, the newest flick was announced!  Alas, it did non come upward to a theatre close me, hence I volition lead maintain to hold back for the DVD to come upward out earlier I tin consider it.

Anna Karenina has been announced equally the greatest dear storey the public has ever heard.  I strongly disagree alongside that sentiment, equally this was non a dear story, but rather a warning: Be careful of your choices for they lead maintain their consequences.  Considering that Anna ended upward killing herself in addition to Vronsky was horribly miserable, that hardly screams "Look at this fabulous dear story!"  Ah, but what virtually Levin in addition to Kitty? y'all may ask.  Surely they were a agree made inwards happiness!  But no, Kitty is perfectly dissatisfied alongside her life past times the destination of the book, in addition to Levin hardly notices.  I doubtfulness his ain happiness equally well, for he has the married adult woman he ever wanted, but what else?  She evidently does non attention for him equally she thought she would, in addition to he does non seem blissful past times the end.  A rattling disconcerting storey equally well.  Lastly, whatever who would telephone vociferation upward this a swell dear storey evidently ignored all of the social aspects of the book.  This was to a greater extent than social commentary than romance, in addition to calling it a dear storey does non create it justice.

Shatter Me past times Tahereh Mafi
Photo from Goodreads.com
Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi
Date started: 7/29/2012
Date finished: 8/3/2012

Shatter Me is an illustration of when anticipation goes horribly terribly wrong.  The storey sounded fantastic!  I loved the cover!  Everyone, in addition to I hateful everyone, was talking virtually it.  There was buzz.  There was coverage.  This volume was everywhere when it kickoff came out.  So I set it on my To Read shelf, in addition to left it at that topographic point for a while.  I had other books to read first, in addition to didn't ain a copy.

This was a lesson learned inwards hype: Just because it appears everywhere, does non hateful it is all it's cracked upward to be.  I was extremely disappointed that something I'd been waiting in addition to wanting to read for hence long was hence terrible, but it happens when y'all read novel stuff.  An declaration for sticking alongside the sometime tried-and-true?  Not quite.  Because fifty-fifty when nosotros read bad books, nosotros are nonetheless learning to a greater extent than virtually what nosotros similar in addition to don't like.

Still, this wasn't worth the read.  Or the hype.

Cinder past times Marissa Meyer
Photo from Goodreads.com
Cinder - Marissa Meyer
Date started: 8/5/2012
Date finished: 8/12/2012

On the reverse destination of the spectrum, Cinder is what happens when all the hype is warranted.  This is an illustration of when scientific discipline fiction in addition to fantasy really blend in addition to acquire it right.  Cinder is really a swell experiment inwards scientific discipline fiction for immature adults, something that could lure the unsuspecting immature ones into a life of sci-fi addiction downward the road.  And this is an addiction that can't survive cured, in addition to isn't going to wound anyone.  Except mayhap the characters.  Because a lot of sci-fi characters die.  But that's also the point.

I really really in addition to wholeheartedly loved this book.  I want Kai had been less of a dimwit, but everything else virtually it screamed sci-fi/fantasy fan.  I could only tell, Marissa Meyer really enjoyed writing this book.  There's an air of excitement to it, betwixt the storyline in addition to the characters in addition to how the reader is similar a shot suckered into something y'all start out feeling is juvenile but chop-chop realize is a lot to a greater extent than than that.

If y'all solely read 1 sci-fi volume inwards the adjacent year, I would highly recommend this one.  It was worthwhile in addition to really made me grin when I was done.  I was hence happy!  Finally, someone who could create practiced sci-fi in addition to it wasn't necessarily geared towards teen boys ever talking virtually their boners in addition to thinking state of war was the end-all in addition to be-all of their lives.  I've read quite a flake of that form of sci-fi in addition to it was hence refreshing to read something that girls would love.

Love on the Run past times Katharine Kerr
Photo from Goodreads.com
Love on the Run - Katharine Kerr
Date started: I lead maintain no idea
Date finished: 9/27/2012

The argue I don't know what appointment I started reading this is because I really read it twice this yr - in 1 trial earlier it was published, equally a beta-reader, in addition to in 1 trial later it was published.  Or in 1 trial finally year, I can't quite recollect when just I was sent a copy, but whatevs.  Doesn't really matter, does it?

Love on the Run is volume 4 (and unfortunately the finally that volition survive officially published) of the Nola O'Grady novels.  How anyone wouldn't similar a shot autumn inwards dear alongside Ari Nola is beyond me, but seriously, if y'all were into paranormal urban fantasy in addition to read all the other crap that's out there, in addition to y'all haven't read this one, in addition to hence there's something incorrect alongside you.

Okay, okay, I kid.  But non really.  Seriously, Nola is 1 of the most engaging in addition to enigmatic characters I've read inwards electrical flow fiction.  Her partner Ari's pretty hot too, if I create say hence myself.  At to the lowest degree from the epitome I lead maintain inwards my head.  I know I've said it before, but whenever I think of Ari, I picture Naveen Andrews.  I know, right?  RIGHT?!  *cough*  But looks aren't everything, especially when you're inwards a volume in addition to no 1 really knows what y'all hold back similar anyway.  What really gets me is the means these ii characters mesh in addition to move together.  They are a twosome correct from the start, fifty-fifty inwards the kickoff volume when they only run into in addition to Nola hates having a bodyguard but realizes that he's useful.  In a manful sort of way. ... ... I mean, equally a bodyguard.  He's all manly.  And stuff.  But Nola tin accept attention of herself, in addition to she does a pretty damn practiced undertaking of it.

The argue I verbalize virtually this serial hence much is because I believe it's a swell laid upward of fiction that would appeal to a broad make of readers.  I similar talking virtually it, because I know that if I didn't know the writer in addition to had seen this on the shelf, I don't know that I would lead maintain picked it up.  I don't read this genre.  I only tend non to like it.  But Kit doesn't quite fit the genre anyway, in addition to this serial non solely laughs at the genre, but at itself too.  Some of it is silly, some of it is only champaign nuts (psychic squid anyone?), but when it's serious it's serious, in addition to when it's funny y'all know to laugh.  I enjoyed this likely to a greater extent than than most of the books I read this year, in addition to it volition move on to survive a favorite of mine for a long fourth dimension to come.  So give the serial a shot.  Just recollect to start alongside volume 1.

Miss Peregrine's Home
for Peculiar Children
Photo from Goodreads.com
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
Date started: 9/26/2012
Date finished: 9/29/2012

Only 3 days?  Three awesome, wonderful, scary days!  This volume came out inwards 2011 in addition to I solely got around to reading it a few months ago, despite my want to read it equally presently equally possible later I had discovered it finally year.  My experience alongside Miss Peregrine was rattling similar to my experience alongside Room: why on globe did I hold back hence long to read this?!

An epiphany - Start reading books when they come upward out, equally presently equally y'all can.  Then y'all won't experience similar y'all cheated yourself out of years of happiness.  I am improve for having read this book.  Does that audio silly?  Well it's true.  One of the biggest feelings I got later reading this volume was a feeling of wonder in addition to awe, that something to strange in addition to creepy could survive hence entrancing.  I experience improve for having finally read it.  It feels similar the perfect storey for Riggs to tell, in addition to that solely he could tell it.  I can't think of anyone I've read who would lead maintain been improve suited to tell the storey of Miss Peregrine in addition to her abode caught inwards a fourth dimension loop, amount of children alongside mysterious powers in addition to abilities.  Do y'all ever experience that way?  That a sure storey came out of the solely somebody who could lead maintain written it?  That if anyone else had tried, it only wouldn't lead maintain carried the same weight?

I volition destination my retrospective on 1 note: No affair how much or what form of volume y'all similar to read, laid upward a goal for yourself for the adjacent year.  Be it 5, 50, or 150, read your hearts out.  For solely inwards books tin nosotros uncovering our truthful selves.

Happy New Year's Day everyone!  Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free E-Book: Evan Burl As Well As The Falling

50 Mass Challenge In Addition To Marriage (Omg)!

Review: Pearls Inwards The Ashes